How do I find internships?
- Start by meeting with your Gateway Counselor to discuss what kind of internships interest you and click here to review key elements involved with searching for and securing internships to prepare for this meeting.
- Click here for suggestions on resources and the tools necessary for an effective search.
- Visit our extensive list of internship search links here.
What do I gain by doing an internship?
- The opportunity to acquire new skills and discover new interests.
- A “foot in the door” with employers who look to their internship pool for full-time hires.
- A network of professionals, and perhaps a mentor, who can assist you with your career management.
How do I get academic credit for my internship?
- Assess if you need or truly want to receive credit for this internship.
- Not all internships require academic credit. Be sure that your internship either requires you to receive credit or that you want to gain credit prior to proceeding.
- Credit for internships are available through selected academic departments or the INT 200 option.
- You must apply for credit through the Registrar’s Office PRIOR to the start of your internship!
How do I fund my internship?
Lafayette Internship Stipend Program
Through the generosity of Lafayette alumni, parents, and the senior class, the Gateway Career Center has a number of internship stipends available to support students doing unpaid, underpaid or high cost summer internships. These vary in amount and some are designated by career focus and geographical location. View Summer Funding Tutorial AND review the following for specifics:
- Learn more about summer internship stipends
- Learn more about the Gladstone Whitman ’49 Intern Scholar Program
- Learn more about the Robert Beane ’58 Intern Scholar Program
- On Campus Housing Program for Lehigh Valley Summer Internships *see below*
- Funding Sources Beyond Lafayette for Summer Experiences
There are many organizations that you may apply to for funding of no-pay or low-pay opportunities in a variety of career areas. (Please note: students awarded funding through the Stipend Program or Beane Scholar Program cannot be the recipient of any other compensation from the College or another source for their internship.) View a list of general resources to find funding sources and paid fellowship opportunities.
How do I find internship housing?
Summer Housing Beyond Lafayette
It is important to consider internships in varied locations since the options in your preferred industry may be limited close to home. Interning in another part of the country (or the world) also allows you to expand your comfort zone and encounter new perspectives.
View a suggested list of summer housing resources here.
Summer Housing at Lafayette
If you would like to live on campus during the summer as you intern Lafayette Residence Life does offer housing on campus to Lafayette students in the summer for a fee.
Apply for summer housing on campus here.
On Campus Housing for Lehigh Valley and surrounding area Internships
If you’re interning in the Lehigh Valley area during the summer, the Gateway Career Center can sponsor a limited number of students for on-campus housing available at no cost to students.
- Student MUST have an internship secured at the time of application.
- Student must be enrolled as a Lafayette student in fall 2021, and be in good academic and social standing.
- Student may do the internship for academic credit or for INT200 credit. Please contact the Registrar’s office and website for information.
- Student must be interning for an employer other than Lafayette College.
- Students with a home address in the Lehigh Valley or surrounding areas are not eligible for on campus housing.
- The internship must be at least 25 hours a week for at least 5 weeks.
- Some high-pay internships may not be eligible.
- Applications accepted and evaluated on a rolling deadline.
- You will need to include the signed Housing agreement form (click to download)and a Supervisor Statement form (click to download) when you submit your application.
- Click here to access the Career Center summer housing application form