Career Track Booklet and Application Form
The Career Track booklet contains track descriptions and directions on how to apply.
Application opens November 5th and closes on NOVEMBER 28TH at 11:55pm. Submit your application on Handshake.
Please review the entire booklet. The application link can be found within the booklet.
The 2021-2022 Career Track booklet is now available. Click here to view it!
While for previous onsite Career Tracks there was financial aid available to help you offset costs, since this year’s program is virtual, there will be no financial aid program.
What is a Career Track?
An innovative program gives students a valuable, insider perspective on what it’s like to work in a particular industry and city.
The Career Track program for Winter 2022 will be Virtual.
Students must select a specific location and track that’s of interest. Each employer visit will provide new industry knowledge and include a variety of activities.
Who are the Career Track hosts?
Career Tracks are offered to students by alumni, parents, and friends of the College who volunteer their time to share their expertise with students. Our volunteers hold various professional roles in companies and industries that align with each specific track. Students have the opportunity to ask professionals questions to better understand the field they are considering as a possible career.
When do the Career Tracks take place?
Career Tracks are typically scheduled during the winter interim break
For this winter break 2021/2022, Career Tracks will all be VIRTUAL. The tracks will take place during January. See the Career Track booklet 2021-2022 for specific dates of each track.
For January 2022 Career Tracks the scheduled dates are:
Majority of the tracks will be one (1) to two (2) days in duration.
- Week of January 3, 2022 – Technology & Innovation: Boston, New York
- Week of January 10th, 2022 – Media & Communications: New York; Life Sciences: New York, Boston
- January 17th, 2022 -Financial Services: Boston, New York; Government, Communications, Research: DC
- Cities that will be represented: NYC, Boston, West Coast, DC
- Industries that will be represented: Finance, Government & Public policy, Engineering, Life Sciences, Innovation, Media & Communications
Who can participate in Career Tracks?
The Career Tracks program is open to all students of all majors and all classes.
Why participate in Career Tracks?
The benefits you receive as a Career Track participant are invaluable.
- Exposure to a specific industry and career path: This will help you determine if it’s the right fit for you. You will spend time at a broad range of employer sites.
- Gain Knowledge: Some tracks may include Human Resource professionals who can offer skill development and insight about recruiting cycles and processes for their particular industry or organization.
- Learn about a city or region: Alumni will share what it’s like in a particular city where you can envision working and growing your career.
- Build Connections: Track volunteers are successful alumni, parents, and friends of the College, who can give insight and support to benefit your future career ambitions.
What am I committing to if I am selected to participate?
By submitting your application, you are agreeing to accept the Career Track opportunity you selected and honor the commitment.
If you register for a Career Track participation is required. Failure to participate will be considered negatively in any future applications.
The pre-scheduled dates for the Career Track program will not change. Please keep this in consideration if you are planning on participating in the 2022 Externship program.
How do I apply to participate in Career Tracks?
- 500 word original essay that addresses your answers to the following questions:
- Why are you interested in doing this Career Track? Discuss your selections. You may apply for up to three (3) career tracks.
- What do you hope to gain from the experience?
- How do you plan to prepare for and make the most of your experience?
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION:
The Career Tracks application for the 2022 program opens Monday, November 5th, 2021.
Helpful hints for preparing your application
- Read through your options and choose up to three (3) of the locations and industries of most interest to you.
- Only completed Career Track applications submitted by the due date will be considered.
- Your essay is a very important component of the application. Spend an appropriate amount of time gathering your thoughts. Only one essay is required per student, but discuss your selections. Essays must be typed, double spaced with your name on each page. Essays from previous years cannot be resubmitted; you must write a new one each year.
IMPORTANT: Please respond to prompts within one cohesive 500 word essay, NOT a short answer format.
Essay may not contain any portions of a previously submitted essay YOU USED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 2021 EXTERNSHIP program or the 2021 Career Tracks program. This is considered a violation of Academic Integrity as defined in the Student Handbook.
- Your resume should be written in a professional manner that effectively communicates your education, skills, and experience. The Career Center advises having your resume reviewed by your Gateway counselor for the program prior to submitting your application.
- The Career Center performs the final review. The Track hosts receive the selected students’ resumes.
- Contact the Career Center with any questions throughout the application process. We are happy to help you in preparing the best application materials possible.
What will happen after I apply?
Once you apply, you are required to attend one of the Orientation Meetings.
Orientation Meetings will be virtual.
For Winter 2021/22 the Career Tracks Orientation Meeting dates will be:
November 30th at 12:15pm
December 6th at 4:30pm
December 8th at
Register on Handshake to receive your meeting link.
After the orientation session, you will be emailed a confirmation on the tracks in which you will participate, along with valuable advice on how to make the most of your experience.
Please note: Applying for a Career Track means that you are making a commitment to this experience. Once ACCEPTED, participation is mandatory.
Who should I contact with questions?
Contact The Gateway Career Center: 610-330-5115, email@example.com